Just like us humans, our furry feline friends also have individual preferences in food. Some cats would prefer best dry cat food over wet food. Some would gobble almost everything that is served to them. But then there are also those that cannot help but be picky with what they eat because of a sensitive stomachs. This is where the best cat foods for sensitive stomachs can be of great help.
The challenge of taking care of a cat or any other pet that has a sensitive stomachs is that they cannot talk and say directly that their food makes their digestive system act out and irritable. The danger here is that at times, our beloved cats would still eat the food even though it would harm them, just like how adult cats that are lactose intolerant drink milk even though it will harm them.
The Best Cat Foods For Sensitive Stomachs Available At Market
If you don’t have the time to make your own cat food or is not confident enough to do it, you can always purchase it. I made a list of the best there is right now. Take a closer look at my top five best cat foods for sensitive stomachs available today.
1. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Dry Adult Cat Food
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo dry cat food always features real meat as the first ingredient. High-quality protein from real chicken helps your cat maintain strong muscles. Plus, it contains wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit.
- FOR A SENSITIVE STOMACH: Our sensitive stomach cat food is formulated with FOS prebiotics to help support your cat's digestive health and promote nutrient absorption. Plus, it contains omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to promote a shiny coat and healthy skin.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits - a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists, to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- NATURAL CAT FOOD: BLUE dry cat food is formulated for the health and well-being of your cat and features the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. It never contains chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains one (1) 15 lb. bag of BLUE Sensitive Stomach Natural Adult Dry Cat Food, Chicken & Brown Rice
Just like all of the pet food on the blue buffalo life line, this particular variant contains “lifesource bits,” which provides our pets with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that would help them grow and sustain a healthy life for every life stage.
One of the common worries of us pet owners is that sometimes, cats can be very picky. That is why blue buffalo ensures that our furry friends will enjoy it up to the last bite by infusing it with real deboned chicken and fish oil.
2. Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomachs and Skin Dry Cat Food
- A source of prebiotic fiber to fuel beneficial gut bacteria and support a grown cat's microbiome
- This adult cat Food is highly digestible for optimal nutrient absorption and easy stool pickup
- Helps nourish an adult cat's skin with vitamin E and omega 6 fatty acids
- Made with natural ingredients
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
Aside from making sure that our pets will not have a hard time digesting this food, this highly formulated cat food also specialized in providing a healthy and beautiful coat to your cat. Amongst the fortified minerals in this mixture are omega 6 fatty acids and vitamins C and E, all proponents of a healthy skin and fur.
3. Purina Cat Chow Gentle Dry Cat Food
- One (1) 13 lb. Bag - Purina Cat Chow Sensitive Stomach Dry Cat Food, Gentle
- Made with real turkey
- Natural fiber blend helps support digestive health
- Provides all 25 essential vitamins and minerals to support her overall well-being
- 100% complete and balanced nutrition for adult cats
The good thing about this cat food is that it is designed to be gentle for even cats with the most sensitive tummies without compromising the quality of nutrients they absorb. This cat food is composed of high protein and fiber content in an easy-to-digest formulation so the cats
would be able to get their daily need of protein without stressing out their digestive system. And with the 25 essential vitamins and minerals that it contains, you are ensured that your cat is covered 100% of their required daily intake.
4. Instinct Grain Free Recipe Natural Wet Canned Cat Food by Nature’s Variety
- GRAIN FREE CAT FOOD WITH CAGE FREE CHICKEN: Instinct Original is made with 95% chicken, turkey & chicken liver, 5% vegetables, fruits & wholesome ingredients. This is high protein cat food with responsibly sourced cage free chicken as the #1 ingredient
- CANNED CAT FOOD WITH NO FILLERS: Instinct Original wet cat food is high protein cat food. Made without grain, potato, corn, wheat, soy, carrageenan, by-product meals, artificial colors or preservatives - ingredients known to trigger food sensitivities.
- NATURAL CAT FOOD: Made from real meat & whole food ingredients, our grain free wet cat food is packed with animal protein for strong, lean muscles. Served as a meal or topper, this delicious pate texture is a taste that even picky kitties will love.
- RAW INSPIRED WET CAT FOOD: Our canned cat food offers complete & balanced nutrition from real ingredients to support your cat's health from kitten to senior. Made in the USA with the finest ingredients from around the world.
- INSTINCT, THE RAW BRAND: We craft wet & dry cat food from real ingredients. Compare Instinct to Blue Buffalo, Fancy Feast, Hills Science Diet, Royal Canin, Rachel Ray, Natural Balance, Merrick, Purina One, Friskies, Wellness, Iams, Purina Beyond & Weruva.
This is the closest that you can get with providing your cat her natural diet. It is made with 95% meat and 5% fruits and veggies with no grain or gluten included. Just like how it should be for carnivores.
With its high protein content and nutrients such as amino acids and omega 3, your cat will always have strong bones, high muscle density, and a healthy fur. There will be no issue with an irritable or sensitive stomachs since this food is just how cats in the wild nurture themselves naturally.
5. Wellness Signature Selects Natural Canned Grain Free Wet Cat Food
- Grain Free: Grain Free, Complete And Balanced Everyday Nutrition For Your Cat.
- Quality Ingredients: Hand-Packed Delicate Flakes Of Protein From Real Tuna & Wild Salmon In A Delicious Sauce.
- All Natural: Contains Only Premium, All Natural Ingredients With No Meat By-Products, Wheat, Corn Or Soy.
- Easy To Serve: Custom-Design, Upside-Down Can And Easy-Open Lid Make Mealtime Quick And Easy.
- Subscribe & Save: Hassle-Free Way To Save 5% And Always Keep Your Pantry Stocked.
Aside from providing all the nutrients needed by cats to survive, there is one more thing that this cat food is focused on which is moisture and hydration. Since cats don’t naturally have a strong thirst drive, this cat food ensures that cats are properly hydrated every time it gets a serving.
It has all-natural, premium cuts of meat without any extenders or by products added. You are sure that your cat is only eating what it needs to eat. There are no irritations, no upset stomachs, only healthy and strong cats.
Knowing The Signs Of A Sensitive Stomachs
The key here is being sensitive and knowledgeable on the signs that your cat might be suffering from a sensitive stomachs. You have to understand that sometimes, having a clean food bowl and food container is not enough. Knowing the signs of a sensitive stomachs would prevent your pet from suffering and even death.
Listlessness in cats can mean a lot of things, but if your pet is interested in any other activities such as playing and cuddling but is disinterested with its food, chances are it is suffering from sensitivity to the food you are feeding it.
Constipation or Diarrhoea
This is a very obvious sign that your cat is suffering from a sensitive stomachs. When you check the litter box and see that your cat regularly passes liquid or has difficulty in doing its business, it is definitely time to change its diet.
When it comes to vomiting, you have to understand the difference between vomiting and regurgitation. Regurgitation is a natural means of riding a cat’s body of undigested food. It happens along the esophagus area and is normal in healthy cats.
When it happens, the cat doesn’t seem to be in pain or suffering, and the output is cylindrical. When a cat vomits, it is very obvious that the cat is in pain as the food is ejected forcefully from the stomachs or intestinal area. As soon as the cat releases the vomit it usually drools or retches in relief.
A sensitive stomach might cause a cat to vomit. It can also be a sign of other diseases. Take note that it the vomit contains traces of blood, it is imperative to bring the cat to the vet immediately.
Keys To A Stomachs-Friendly Cat Food
To ensure that your cat will ingest its food without experience irritations, the ingredients must be meticulously chosen, leaving out anything that the cat’s tummy cannot tolerate or anything that causes allergic reactions.
The perfect cat foods for sensitive stomachs should include chicken or turkey meat, egg protein, wheat, rice, or oats. Eggs, chicken, and turkey are good sources of protein while wheat, rice, and oats are good sources of fiber.
DIY Homemade Cat Food Recipes
While the best way to go is to bring your cat to the vet if they have the symptoms discussed above, if you are sure that your cat has a sensitive stomachs, you can just change its diet to a more stomachs friendly concoction. Here are some easy to cook recipes for your stomachs-sensitive cat.
Dry Cat Food Recipe
Get two large bowls. On one bowl, mash the chicken or turkey meat with the vegetable oil and water, while in the other bowl, mix all the remaining ingredients.
Mix the contents of the two bowls, ensuring that it is mixed evenly and devoid of lumps or patches of unmixed ingredients. Make the dough by hand and roll it to achieve a thickness of around a quarter inch in diameter. Cut the dough into small pieces, taking into consideration that the yeast will cause the kibbles to expand.
Preheat your oven to 350°FPlace the tiny pieces on a greased sheet and bake it for 20 to 25 minutes, tossing the bits, so it browns evenly on all sides. Cool the bits completely before taking it out of the oven.
Put the bits in an airtight container and refrigerate it for a long shelf life.
Wet Cat Food Recipe
Just simply put all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend it until it reaches your desired consistency. You can store it in the fridge for up to three days.
Well, you see that’s my short review for each product. For best dry cat food, the best cat foods for sensitive stomachs for me is the Purina Cat Chow Gentle Dry Cat Food. This company has earned our trust in providing quality pet foods, and this particular one does not disappoint.
It ensures that our cats are nourished with 25 essential vitamins and minerals without making their stomachs upset. And since it is dry, storage and shelf life are longer and more convenient.When it comes to wet cat food, I recommend the Instinct Grain Free Recipe Natural Wet Canned Cat Food by Nature’s Variety. It is the closest as any food can be in terms of a cat’s natural diet. The 95% meat and 5% fruits and vegetables are helpful to your cat’s nourishment. The absence of grain, soy, and gluten ensures that your cat will not have an upset or irritated stomachs.