16 Harmful Foods That Cats Should Not Eat
The following common food items should not be fed (intentionally or unintentionally) to cats. This list is, of course, incomplete because we can not possibly list everything your cat should not eat.
- 1. Alcoholic beverages : Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.
- 2. Coffee, Tea, Energy Drinks: These contain caffeine that can cause your cat to become restless, have rapid breathing, heart palpitations and muscle tremors.
- 3. Grapes, raisins and currants: Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys.
- 4. Dairy Products: Some cats are lactose intolerant and if they eat dairy products it can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
- 5. Salt : If eaten in large quantities it may lead to electrolyte imbalances.
- 6.Sugary foods : Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.
- 7. Dog food: If accidental ingestion, will not cause a problem; if fed repeatedly, may result in malnutrition and diseases affecting the heart.
- 8. Fat trimmings : Can cause pancreatitis.
- 9. Macadamia nuts : Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.
- 10. Bones from fish, poultry, or other meat sources: Can cause obstruction or laceration of the digestive system.
- 11. Raw eggs : Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems.
- 12.Raw meat: May contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea.
- 13. Rhubarb leaves: Contain oxalates, which can affect the digestive, nervous, and urinary systems.
- 14. Human vitamin supplements containing iron: Can damage the lining of the digestive system and be toxic to the other organs including the liver and kidneys.
- 15. Mushrooms : Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.
- 16: Sugary Foods: Can lead to obesity, dental problems, and possibly diabetes mellitus.